Ontario workplace laws are changing and we’d like to hear how your company plans to handle the various adjustments packaged with this new legislation. Here is a reaction from one of our members regarding the changes this bill brings. Log in and let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
Good morning, how are people handling the changes packaged in with this new legislation and the impact on pricing to their customers?
- Minimum wage increase will have no direct impact but will cause a ripple effect through our pay grid as I have people who are now going to expect to be paid more. Everyone is already paid a living wage or higher at our company BUT the implication is out there for everyone to see.
- Paid emergency days – pure increase in costs for us.
- Increased entitlement to vacation days – pure increase in costs for us, we hadn’t previously recognized increased vacation entitlement. It is likely the right thing to do but will force us to do a full shut down in the summer, which we’ve never done and have a longer shut-down over next Christmas.
- Next year – scheduling work is nuts and I can’t see us being able to conform to these requirements, but we will have to allow employees to dictate to us when they work. Likely additional upward pressure on wage costs.
- I’m planning on implementing a price increase to cover some of the less visible costs that are being implemented.
I’d like to know what the rest of the group is planning or doing in response – if anything at all. This is a significant piece of legislation for the members.
The BWA will be facilitating a discussion group February 27th to connect with other members, and bringing subject expertise to the table on this topic! Visit our events page to learn more and register for the event.
Comments are closed.