Home Page Forums Membership Inquiries Membership Inquiry – Inventory Management Systems Reply To: Membership Inquiry – Inventory Management Systems

Michelle Holden
Participant

1. Member Reply: Computers (software) don’t solve the problems, but all to often we are looking to MRP, ERP or some other solution. If you can’t devise a manual way to track and store it, the software will just make the problem worse. Not to mention your software provider will promise you the world. However, without proving a system manually it will be difficult to understand what you need.

I would recommend trying a simple manual Kanban for the inventory. Once you have that sorted out, it may eliminate the need for expensive software.

2. Member Reply: We work with Microsoft OneNote to create a customer’s job

The material arrives here and there is a packing slip, it has a place and should match the material needed for the job

**the material in our shop is all owned by our customers

If material is leftover from customer’s jobs and they would like us to hold it here for future jobs, we then create an excel spreadsheet for what material it is and the size of the sheet

We work in a small customer base so we don’t have a specific “inventory management system”

Thank you

3. Member Reply: We work with Microsoft OneNote to create a customer’s job

The material arrives here and there is a packing slip, it has a place and should match the material needed for the job

**the material in our shop is all owned by our customers

If material is leftover from customer’s jobs and they would like us to hold it here for future jobs, we then create an excel spreadsheet for what material it is and the size of the sheet

We work in a small customer base so we don’t have a specific “inventory management system”

Thank you

4. Member Reply: Our company uses the advanced inventory module in Quickbooks Enterprise.
It works well for our needs as we can closely keep track of raw materials and also build assembly’s (which is a big part of our inventory management).

I believe there are many different programs available to manage inventory and some of them very expensive.
If your member already uses a QuickBooks subscription, this ‘advanced inventory’ module may be a good option for them.

I hope this helps.

5.Member Reply: For what it’s worth because it’s not an ERP, I would tag each board and take a picture and then have a simple ecommerce site where customers can pick and pay for their wood online. It’s manual but about the same amount of input work as ERP with the added benefit of ecommerce.

If they need someone good to set it up, the best person I know is here: http://sitaran.com